Thursday, November 03, 2005

FUCK Aureole! (New York)

In the November edition of the magazine the Gourmet Traveller, Leo Schofield is debating the 10 things that he believes, makes a great restaurants. Number 3 on his list is this:

“A restaurant is, for the two or three hours you’ll be spending there, your temporary home. The proprietor should make you feel as welcome as you make your guests feel when they drop in. Snooty staff are as off-putting as a bad smell, and they have no place in a service industry.”

I just heard to my absolute dismay, that the New York restaurant Aureole has made it to the Michelin guide, with one star. How that happened I can not phantom, but it does compel me to share my opinion of it, as being one of the most rude up it self places I have ever been! My Ex-boyfriend, Lars and I visited the Aureole during the famous restaurant week of 2004 as it was one of the places that came highly recommended. During restaurant week, fine restaurants serve up a set menu at a price that makes it possible ordinary people to afford extraordinary dining. From the moment we arrived, we were snobbed, and made to feel out of place like never before (and having travled in Vienna I have seen my fair share of snobbish behaviour!). I have luckily been able to block out most of the experience, but I can give you this little example, which was very inline with the over all experience. I ordered a wine menu to go with my food, thinking I was in for a divine experience. – And though I do not remember the exact price I can tell you this, they were not shy about it, which was ok as this was to be a grand night out! I believe I was given 3 tastes of wine during the lunch. The glasses being so small, that I have had my glass filled with less, in order to taste if a wine had gone bad! After the experience I was so enraged that I send an email, to restaurants web page, which they did not even answer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home